查看: 5367|回复: 2

没有在家教育,Rift永远不会发生

[复制链接]

主题

好友

积分

道路,真理,生命

发表于 2014-10-25 11:12:35 |显示全部楼层
Oculus founder Palmer Luckey: ‘The Rift never would’ve happened had I not been home-schooled.’
imrs.jpg

Oculus VR founder Palmer Luckey accepts his award. (Matt McFarland/The Washington Post)

The Smithsonian Magazine hosted its third annual American Ingenuity Awards Thursday night in Washington. The event honored a group of remarkable individuals, perhaps none more interesting than Oculus VR founder Palmer Luckey. The 22-year-old — who sold Oculus to Facebook for $2 billion earlier this year — was recognized for his breakthrough work in virtual reality.
As a teenager Luckey’s parents gave him half of the family’s two-car garage to use as his personal workshop. He played with Tesla coils, lasers — once briefly damaging his vision — and virtual reality headsets that he purchased at government and online auctions. Luckey credited his unusual education with how far he’s gotten:
I’ve had the blessing of growing up with supportive parents, who didn’t actually financially support my hobbies. I had to do odd jobs and stuff to make all the money myself, but they were at least very supportive of me, being flexible with my time. They home-schooled me in a way that let me prioritize my schoolwork for certain days and my other stuff for other days. And I started taking community college courses when I was 14. That gave me a lot of freedom to choose the classes on the days I wanted. I think it’s pretty safe to say that the Rift never would’ve happened had I not been home-schooled.
When you have to be a self-motivated learner, and you are not in school because you’re legally required to, but you’re there because you’re taking community college courses and you want to succeed, you want to get a grade that’ll apply for a transfer. All of the sudden you care about what you’re learning a lot more. So I wasn’t there just to get through the daily grind. I was doing what I did to learn and also learning a lot of things on the side. I learned a lot more on my own outside of school, at least when it comes to what’s relevant to what I’m doing now.
I asked Luckey to explain how a teenage kid in his parent’s garage could make a superior virtual reality product to all of the world’s tech companies, with their huge budgets and staffs:
It’s because nobody cared. Nobody was paying attention to virtual reality. That is the only reason the Rift did not exist earlier. I’ve actually done some analysis of the components used in my earlier Rift prototypes, and the prototype that [Doom creator] John Carmack used could have been built for under $1,000 in 2007 and under $500 in 2009. The exact same components or very very similar performing components. Carmack didn’t show off at E3 till 2012. Between three and six years had gone by between when the tech was finally there and when it all of the sudden caught on.
The components I was using even were relatively old — they weren’t the most cutting edge thing because they were things that I was able to obtain off the shelf and modify, so it’s just kind of interesting. You’re right, there’s all these companies — millions of dollars — you think that one of them would’ve had a VR R&D project that was going somewhere, and it turned out none of them did. Our Kickstarter proved that people wanted VR, and our hardware that we shipped proved it was finally good enough, and now you have all of these big companies like Sony and Facebook and Google and Microsoft all getting into the augmented reality and virtual reality game in a big way.
Luckey also talked about what Facebook chief executive Mark Zuckerberg is like:
Mark’s pretty cool. He’s reminded — I don’t want to say I’m a lot like Mark Zuckerberg, but I felt like we see the world in a lot of the same ways. He’s actually a pretty down to earth guy and he wants to change the world in a lot of good ways. He agreed with the same vision. He was the only person at a large company that really agreed with our version of virtual reality. Which is that virtual reality will be a massive part of the future of entertainment and education and communication.
Despite making his mark in engineering, Luckey was actually a journalism major at California State University at Long Beach, where he was the online editor of the Daily 49er. So why take that route?
I was being kind of arrogant. My thought was ‘I’m already a self-taught engineer, I already know plenty about engineering, why would I go to school just to learn more about it. Oh, I’ll learn something about something I don’t know a lot about,’ which journalism was one of those things. I wanted to be a technology journalist that understood technology, because there are very few of those.
Update, Oct. 18: An earlier version of this story included Luckey recalling how he applied for a Thiel Fellowship and was rejected. Following publication of the blog post Luckey informed me that he “mis-communicated and mis-remembered how it actually went; I was having a pretty hectic year, and missed the application deadline.” A spokesman for the Thiel Fellowship then confirmed with me that Luckey had never applied

http://www.washingtonpost.com/bl ... been-home-schooled/

Oculus的创始人帕尔默拉吉(Palmer Luckey):“若我没有在家教育的经历,Rift头盔眼睛产品)可能永远都不会成真。”
------翻译:ANGELA
Oculus VR公司的创始人帕尔默拉吉(Palmer Luckey)接受奖项(马特·麦克法兰/华盛顿邮报)
上周四晚上《史密森杂志》在华盛顿举办了第三届“美国创造力奖”( American Ingenuity Awards)的颁奖仪式。 颁奖之夜就是为了给与一群非凡的人荣誉,而其中最让人感兴趣的非‘帕尔默拉吉’莫属,他是“眼虚拟现实(Oculus VR )公司”的创始人。这个22岁的小伙子在今年的早些时候以20亿的高价把Oculus卖给了Facebook公司,他因为在虚拟现实领域的突破性工作被认可。
十几岁时,拉吉的父母就把家中能装两辆车的车库的一半分给他作个人工作室。他在里面摆弄特斯拉线圈、镭射器——有一次曾经短暂地造成视力受损——以及各种虚拟现实头盔,这些虚拟现实头盔都是他从官方和网络拍卖上淘来的。拉吉把自己取得的成绩归功于他所接受的与众不同的教育:
我很幸运成长过程中一直有父母的支持,但他们却不从经济上支持我的兴趣爱好。我得自己打零工和制造东西来赚到所有的钱,但是他们至少很支持我,给我的时间很灵活。他们对我开展在家教育的方式是让我在某些天把学校的功课作为优先,另一些天其他内容可以成为优先。而且我从14岁就开始在社区大学的选课。 这给了我很大的自由选择在我想要的时间内上课。 我想可以很安全地说若没有在家教育经历,Rift可能永远都不会成真。
    当你不得不成为一名主动学习的人,你去学校不是因为你被法律要求必须上学,相反你在学校里是因为你自愿选择社区大学的课程,而且你想成功,你想要得到好成绩从而能申请转学。突然,你更在乎自己到底在学什么。 所以我上学不是为了每天应付了事。我曾经努力学习,也同时学到很多东西。我在校外自学了更多的内容,至少这些内容跟我现在从事的事业息息相关。
我请拉吉解释一下一个十几岁的男孩在父母的车库怎么能创造出超过世界上所有的技术公司的虚拟现实产品,那些公司可是有巨额的预算和庞大的员工团队:
因为没有人在意。没有人真的在意虚拟现实。这也是Rift没有更早出现的唯一原因。我曾经对早期的Rift原型机使用的零件做过一些分析,“毁灭战士的开发者”约翰·卡马克使用过的原型机其实在2007年只需要不到1000美元的成本,而到了2009年更低于500美元。完全相同的组件或者几乎非常近似的组件。但是卡马克直到2012年的E3(电子娱乐展览会)上才展示。中间经过三年或者说六年技术才最终成型,突然迎头赶上。
我曾经用过的组件是相对比较老的款式——它们并不是最尖端的设备,它们只是我能从架子上取下来,能改装的设备,所以只是比较好玩。你说得对,有很多这样的公司,有上百万美元的预算——你会觉得他们当中一定有有所建树的虚拟现实的研发项目,但是事实上真的一个都没有。 我们在Kickstarter众筹网上做的项目证明了大家热盼VR(虚拟现实产品),而我们最终运送的硬件证明了我们的产品足够好了。现在,各个大公司,索尼、Facebook、Google和微软都强势进入“增强实景”和虚拟现实游戏这个领域。
拉吉也谈到Facebook的总裁马克·扎克伯格是个什么样的人:
马克这个人很酷。他让我觉得——我不是要说自己跟马克很像,我只是觉得我们对世界的看法在很多方面很相似。他其实是个很谦卑的人,他想要在很多好的方面改变这个世界。他跟我认同有相似的异象。他是大公司里唯一一个真正跟我们对虚拟现实有相同异象和看法的人。我们都觉得虚拟现实会成为未来娱乐、教育和沟通领域最大的部分。
虽然在工程领域大有建树,但是拉吉实际上在长岛的加州州立大学主修新闻专业,那时他是Daily 49er的网上编辑。但是为什么选择了这个专业呢?
我那时有点自负。我的想法是“我已经是一个自学得不错的工程师了。关于工程的学科我已经知道的够多了,那还干嘛去学校学习更多呢?好吧,我去学学我不知道的内容吧,而新闻专业就是这样的一门学科。我想要成为一名非常懂技术的技术记者,因为这样的人很少。
1018日更新:有关本故事更早的版本包括拉吉回想他如何申请泰尔奖学金(ThielFellowship)却被拒绝了。在我的博文发表之后,拉吉告诉我:“有点错误的沟通,他错误地记忆了当时的情况,那年我过度忙碌了,就错过了申请的最后期限。”泰尔奖学金的发言人也跟我确认拉吉从未申请。

道路,真理,生命
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

好友

积分

发表于 2014-10-25 23:39:59 |显示全部楼层
关键不是homeschool,而是是中小学就开始接触软件,电子,应用数学,在大学前就懂得科技创业所需要的技能,作为内行人我只能说国内暂时不可能出现这样的人才,国内硬件软件都有,但缺少使用的家长和小孩。

这个孩子敬佩马克 · 扎克伯格,而马克 · 扎克伯格敬佩比尔盖茨,如果有家长能明白这3个人的共通点,就明白如何去培养小孩了,方向就容易找对,但我想国内会是极少数能明白。乔布斯最喜欢马克 · 扎克伯格,但乔布斯和前3者有区别。
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

好友

积分

发表于 2015-1-27 15:33:02 |显示全部楼层
不能以偏概全,美國縂統接受的是公共教育,但是卻成了國家管理人。
人是社會性動物,能把大家聚集到一起,協調好每個人的關係,讓大家共同發展才是最厲害的。
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

联系|手机版|在家上学联盟  

GMT+8, 2017-6-25 23:39 , Processed in 0.109795 second(s), 27 queries .